Friday, September 21, 2007

Filling the Chambers


Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
-Proverbs 24:3-4


Some of the greatest, most precious riches I have in my life have come in unexpected packages. One of the best has been the "library" of Bible verses in my head. When times are tough or I am feeling down or anxious, I can always recall a favorite verse or two that is the perfect remedy for the situation. God's Word is a packed treasure mind of wise riches and we have the opportunity to fill the chambers of our minds with a small bit of His wisdom, thanks to Scripture memorization.

There are many different ways to memorize Scriptures, but for me the best way has been using a spiral bound notebook of index cards that can be found at any office supply or large discount store. These are especially nice for this task as you have a handy little "flip book" of all the verses you know and can refer back to them often to keep them fresh in your mind. This is also a nice way to have some favorite bits of wisdom with you when you are on the go and may not be able to carry a Bible with you.

I choose a verse every weekend and add it to my flip book using a pretty color marker. Several times a day I refer to this verse and say it several times aloud. I usually keep it in a convenient place (kitchen, nightstand, computer desk), so that I can be sure not to forget my daily practice. By the end of the work, my little moments of effort pay off as a new Scripture is added to my memory bank.

To find verses to memorize, I use several sources. Sometimes I will come across a certain verse during my daily Bible reading and I can feel God's pull on my heart and know that I need to memorize this particular verse. Other times, I memorize a favorite Proverb or Psalm. I have also searched on topical Scripture lists found on the internet to find verses that might pertain to certain situations I struggle with (patience would be a good example ;o)). No matter which way I come across a verse, God certainly leads me to the right wisdom that I will need not too far into the future.

I encourage everybody to give a go at building their "wisdom library". One simple verse a week may not seem like much, however, by the end of the year fifty two verses will be shelved in your "library"!

Picture Credit

3 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

What a neat way of memorizing. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Laura H. said...

I like to memorize scripture too. I do it usually with a memorizing buddy. We are accountable to eachother, and report as often as we can, about our progress! I have the first two chapters of Collosians memorized.

God bless!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

What great ideas!! Thank yo uso much for sharing them, as they are a big help and encouragement!