Friday, September 21, 2007

"How do I acquire wisdom??"

Wisdom is something that we all want to possess, right, dear ladies? But it, along with all other things worth having, does not come along easily and without work. There are some things that we must do if we hope to acquire wisdom. They include:
  • Reading the Bible daily

We all must do this! It is so vitally important! We can never hope to gain wisdom if we do not stay in God's Word. I can't stress enough the importance of being in God's word daily. In the Psalms, David often tells of how he meditates on the Word day and night. This is a practice that we too, need to begin. Wake up early in the morning and begin your day with a quiet time with your Savior. Thank Him and praise Him for yet another new day in which to glorify Him! And thank Him that indeed His mercies are new every morning. Read His Word and meditate upon it-this way, the Scriptures are the first things you think about during your day! What better way to start off your morning than with the Bible? Also, while you're lying in bed at night, right before you go to sleep, read some passages from Scripture. If you do so, you are able to meditate on what you have just read while you fall asleep, and thus the Scriptures are the last things you think about before you head off to dream land. Putting this into practice will not only increase your wisdom, but will also provide you with a more peaceful and restful night sleep. This is far healthier than going to bed worrying and stressing over something that occured that day!

  • Memorizing God's Word

Read the post below this one for some wonderful memorization tips from the very wise Mrs. Brigham. :) I can't even begin to stress to you the huge importance of Scripture memorization. It is so crucial and vitally important if you want to lead a productive Christian walk! What I do, thanks to my mother's idea, is take a small 80-page ringed notebook (you know which ones I'm talking about, right? If not, I'll take a pic of mine and will include it in a future post.) and using colored index tabs, devide the notebook into subjects such as trusting in God, wisdom, strength, hope, obeying God, character traits I need to attain, etc. and then under each heading I write out all the verses I can find in the Bible that pertain to that subject. It is a really helpful way of finding a verse to memorize when I am, for instance, struggling with completely trusting in Him. I also have two other notebooks, one of which contains verses on theological issues (the resurrection, trinity, virgin birth, creation, etc. etc.) and the other which contains verses on issues pertaining to women (being a homemaker, being submissive, not dating, being modest, being femine, etc.). This way, I will be able to obey the command found in 1 Peter 3:15, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear." Without memorizing Scripture, we will be unable to obey this command, and that, my dear sisters, is a sin.

  • Praying for Wisdom!

How can we expect to receive wisdom if we do not pray and ask the Lord for it? In 1 Kings 3:5-14, we see that the Lord told Solomon to ask of Him what he wished for. Solomon replied by saying that he desired to attain wisdom. How do we know that the Lord granted that unto him? Because Solomon went on to write most of Proverbs, which is full of some of the wisest sayings in the whole of Scripture! He also gained the reputation of being the wisest man. In Matthew 7:7a, Jesus says to us:"Ask, and it will be given to you." In John 15:16 we read: "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." If you diligently seek the Lord, read His Word, and pray and ask Him for wisdom, He will grant it to you!

God bless you, dear sisters in Christ, as you seek to please and glorify your Savior while striving to attain wisdom.

Have a blessed weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is Mayden Fair's 50th post!!

5 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

Hi Rebekah. 50'th post? It seems like we started blogging only yesterday! Time flies.

I wouldn't trade for anything my habit of quiet time of prayer and meditation in the mornings. It really sets the tone for the day, after you've learned something to feed and nourish your soul.

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I know!! I can't believe this is already our 50th!

I know what you mean! There's just something really special about beginning the day with the Lord, the lover of our souls.

Blessings,
Rebekah

Laura H. said...

Awesome post, Rebekah! Yes, we are up to the 50th post. That is exciting! We will celebrate when it is up to 100th post. And what about the visitors. We need to think of something for the 3000th visitor! What do you say?
Laura H.

Anonymous said...

I get up at 6:00 a.m. to read my Bible and watch Joyce Meyers at 6:30 a.m. I find Joyce very helpful for everyday living but I find the Bible confusing. I am in the O.T. right now and the only thing I understand is the kings who follow God do well and the ones who don't find life hard. Today at Mass if our priest didn't explain what was meant by the readings I wouldn't understand. I have heard it before but never knew what it meant. But the speakers that I listen to help with todays life.

Allison said...

So true!!! Thanks for your thoughts! :)